CKNB NEWS UPDATE TUESDAY APRIL 9 2019
Our neighbors from the northwestern across central to southern New Brunswick
are digging out this morning from
a major over night snow fall.
It dumped about 15 centimeters in those places and police are warning drivers
everywhere to drive carefully.
Along the Fundy coast some freezing rain and ice pellets were missed in.
Police are warning drivers to avoid travel this morning.
We can look forward to another snowfall tonight up to 5
CAM-HOVER ICE BREAKER
DFO says an ice-breaking hover craft is expected to start work in the
Restigouche Region this week, freeing fishing boats from ice bound ports
ahead of the snow crab season.
However, the Tribune reports …. the first priority will be to break up ice
jams in the Restigouche River that could lead to potential flooding.
The coast guard already sent a pair of larger ships to the area last month to
break up some of the off shore ice.
A Fredericton radio host, charged with messaging someone he believed to be a
13 year old girl in Puerto Rico is being held in custody there for now.
44 year old Trevor L. Doyle was in court yesterday and ordered detained
Doyle was arrested last week while travelling in Puerto Rico after he
allegedly started messaging someone he believed was a 13 year old girl but
was in reality an undercover FBI agent.
NB/MCTN-CJD at Moncton Hospital
There are more troubles at the Moncton Hospital.
Horizon Health has sent letters to hundreds of former patients notifying them
that two people who underwent cataract surgery at the hospital have
contracted Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Horizon Health Spokesperson Emely
Poitras says they have determined the two cases of CJD at the Moncton
Hospital are unrelated…and that there is no significant risk of contracting
the protein of the disease from medical instruments.
It’s just that CJD is a very rare fatal disease of the brain with fewer than
a thousand cases in Canada in the last 11 years. So to have two at the
Moncton hospital who both had cataract surgery is very rare.
MCTN- Another child porn case
A 27-year-old Moncton man pleaded guilty yesterday to four sex offences
involving a person under 16.
Dillon Turpin was in court for a bail hearing, according to CBC, when he
entered the guilty pleas to sexual assault, two child porn counts and a
charge of making available sexually explicit material to a person under 16.
Five other charges will be dropped.
Turpin remains in custody and will be back in court for a sentencing hearing
MCTN-Call centre layoffs
43 employees will be laid off at the Moncton call centre run by Accor Hotels,
which represents various hotel chains taking reservations.
Accor told the Times and Transcript it is restructuring its Global
Reservations Centre which means layoffs of 43 people out of its workforce
here of over 300. Most will be done at the end of August with about 15
staying on until November.
A Halifax medical malpractice lawyer has been asked to represent dozens of
women who suspect they received inappropriate treatment by a nurse at the
John McKiggan says women who were hooked up to an I-V and started suffering
strong contractions have been contacting the hospital and his office.
The unidentified R-N has been fired and the R-C-M-P is investigating.
The Federal government is looking for more co-operation from big social media
to head off foreign interference in the upcoming federal election this fall.
Democratic Institutions Minister Karina Gould says there have been
discussions with Facebook and Twitter on how they plan to protect Canadians
during the electoral process. But she says there hasn’t been much progress in
dealing with potential online electoral threats.
Facebook Canada says it has devoted significant time and energy to the
issues, and pledges to introduce new tools before the end of June to ensure
authenticity and transparency are at the core of paid political advertising
on the platform.