November 12, 2020 | by: markfirth

CKNB NEWS UPDATE THURSDAY NOVEMBER 12 2020

—-
CAM/NB – LISTUGUJ STUDENTS

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is calling on the Higgs government
to let Listuguj First Nation students return to school in Campbellton.

Since the recent outbreak the more than on hundred students from the Listuguj
have not been allowed to attend Sugarloaf Highschool due to border
restrictions.

Officials with the organization say the province’s decision is arbitrary as
people from the community are still allowed to cross the border to work.

Canadian Civil Liberties Association says if needed it will back Listuguj if
it decides legal action is needed.

—-
CAM – ICE PALACE OPENING

Dalhousie is moving foward with opening the Inch Arran Ice Palace and the
outdoor rinks.

According to the Tribune Public Works Director James Jalbert presented at a
recent committee meeting that the outdoor rinks are set up and they are just
waiting for cold enough weather to flood them.

Town Clerk-Treasurer Gilles Legacy also said work on the plant at the Ice
Palace is taking place and once repaired ice will be going in.

A COVID plan has been put in place for the facility such as mask use and
directional signage with specific plans also developed by the Marauders and
Restigouche North Minor Hockey.

——–
NB – ONE TEEN FOUND

One of the missing teens that police have been searching for since November
5th has been found safe.

Police did not offer details on how or when 13-year-old Demetry Wright was
found, but say Jakob Burns and Margaret “Maggie” Kiley are still missing.

RCMP announced earlier this week Kiley had joined Wright and Burns after a
car they were driving was found in Saint John… police believed at the time
they may have accessed another vehicle.

Anyone with information or who thinks they may have seen the two are asked to
contact RCMP or Crimestoppers.

—-
MCTN/MIR/NB – FATAL CRASH

Police continue to investigate a single vehicle crash in Rexton that left a
29-year-old woman dead and two others injured.

Police say they were called to the scene shortly before 3am on Tuesday
morning.

A woman from Elsipogtog First Nation was pronounced dead at the scene… a
35-year-old woman and a 36-year-old man, both from Richibucto Village were
transported to hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

An autopsy has been scheduled to determine the woman’s exact cause of death
as the investigation continues.

—-
NB – COVID UPDATE

Public Health announced no new cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick yesterday.

Officials say there are still 16-active cases in the province with one
patient remaining in hospital.

Elsewhere in the Atlantic bubble Nova Scotia is still dealing with a small
outbreak in the Halifax area and currently has 20-active cases…. PEI has
four and Newfoundland/Labrador has seven.

As for the rest of Canada… Ontario and Manitoba set records for daily cases
yesterday and the national active case count has jumped to more than
43-thousand.

—-
NB – EMERGENCY PLANNING

Interim Liberal Leader Roger Melanson says he is calling for a debate at the
start of legislature next week for better emergency planning for COVID-19 and
MLAs.

He tells Brunswick News they still haven’t seen a plan of what will happen if
there’s another outbreak and they are forced to isolate.

Green leader David Cool also expressed concern saying there is nothing in
place to accomodate an oubreak or even if an MLA is sick or showing symptoms.

Legislature Deputy Clerk Shayne Davies says they are full equipped for
virtual sitting, but using it would require unanimous consent to tweek some
standing rules.

—-