June 25, 2020 | by: markfirth

CKNB NEWS UPDATE THURSDAY JUNE 25 2020


CAM – ACOA MONEY LOCAL

Ottawa has announced more than 2.3-million-dollars in funding through ACOA to
help the New Brunswick tourism industry with recovering from the pandemic.

Some of that money will be spent locally with the Club les Aventuriers in
Charlo getting over 200-thousand-dollars to buy a new trail groomer.

The Village of Balmoral is also getting 80-thousand-dollars to develop a
tourist trail linking five communities in Restigouche East.

Madawaska-Restigouche MP Rene Arseneault says the announcement will fund 79
projects, while protecting jobs and helping businesses move forward with
local tourism opportunities

—-
CAM – DIVERSE RCMP

Campbellton RCMP detachment commanding officer Sgt. François Coté says they
are well represented as far as diversity goes.

According to the Tribune Cote addressed the Public Protective Services
Committee on Monday saying he has not heard of a single event of any kind of
racial discrimination by any of his members.

The Sergeant says they have officers of colour as well as Indigenous officers
and he feels that plays a part in how they deal with people from an ethnic
minority.

Cote says the detachment is well aware of the wide spectrum of ethnicities
within the area and they all need to remember that when responding to calls.

—-
CAM/NB – TREE BUG

Ten large ash trees that were planted in Edmundston more than 30 years ago
will be cut down this week because of the presence of the emerald ash borer

The insect has already killed millions of trees in North America and
extensive efforts are underway in Madawaska-Restigouche to slow down it’s
destruction.

It was first detected in the Atlantic region, in Edmundston, in May 2018 and
has since spread across New Brunswick.

Experts say that once the damage is detected, the insect has already left and
is attacking trees elsewhere.

—-
CAM – ZONE 5 YELLOW

The Campbellton region or zone-five is moving back to the yellow phase on
Friday to put us more in line with the rest of the province.

Premier Blaine Higgs made the announcement yesterday saying data shows
progress is being made in managing the spread of COVID0-19 with no new
confirmed cases since last week.

The last case in the region was a person connected to the manor in Atholville
that was announced last weekend.

All closed businesses… including barbers and hairdressers… will be able
to reopen and people in the region can once again extend their bubble to
include more family and friends.

——–
NB/MIR-Forest fire update

A 10 hectare wildfire between Heath Steel Mines and Popple Depot, northwest
of Miramichi, was deemed under control yesterday…and three smaller fires
were also contained in the tinder dry woods of the province.

Kelly Cormier, at Natural Resources, told the Leader they believe all the
fires were started by lightning in the storms that rolled across the province
earlier this week.  The entire province is currently under a no burn order,
according to the website.

—-