CKNB NEWS UPDATE MONDAY APRIL 15 2019
People living along the rivers are keeping a close eye on this latest storm
and the rising water levels.
E-M-O says levels, especially along the St. John River, are rising as the
snow in the north melts. While the snowpack is below last year’s levels, it
is above the 30-year average.
*CAM/NB-BATHURST LABOUR FATAL
Work Safe NB and Bathurst Police continue to investigate a fatality late last
A man who was working on the roof on Friday at a school … fell and later
A spkesperson for WorkSafe NB tells CTV … the investgation will help
determine how the fatality may have been prevented and whether there were any
violations of the Occupational Health and Safety Act or its regulations.
The worker”s name has not been released.
*CAM/NB-PWR STATION FATAL
A 41-year-old man is dead after an incident at a power substation in Bathurst.
City police say they were called to an N-B Power substation on Ste Anne
Street, following a power outage early Saturday.
A man was found at the site who was unresponsive.
He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
N-B Power has released few details, but a spokeswoman confirms there was a
break-in at the Bathurst West substation.
A 49-year-old man has now been charged with attempted murder following a
stabbing earlier this week in Bas-Caraquet.
RCMP say they responded to a complaint of a woman being assaulted inside a
residence on Rue Saint Paul shortly before 730pm on Wednesday night.
When officers arrived they found a 45-year-old woman suffering from stab
She was taken to hospital with serious injuries.
David Chaisson was located outside the residence and arrested.
He too was taken to hospital with minor injuries.
Chaisson has now officially been charged with attempted murder and ordered to
undergo a 5-day psychiatric assessment.
He’ll return to court on April 24th
NB/MIR/MCTN-car chase arrest
A Moncton man is facing charges after a chase involving Miramichi police.
Officers tried to pull a car over early yesterday morning on Water
Street…but the car took off with police in pursuit headed south down Route
11. A check of the plates showed it had been stolen in Moncton. The car was
finally stopped on Route 11 when Richibucto RCMP laid down a spike belt.
A 20 year old Moncton man will be in court this morning on a number of
A 28 year old woman is due in court today after a drug raid near Bathurst.
RCMP executed a search warrant at a residence in Gloucester Junction late
last week, seizing Methamphetemine, prescription pills and paraphenalia.
Melanie Boucher is due in court this morning on a number oc trafficking
charges while the investigation continues.
The Higgs Government has announced a 75-cent per hour wage hike for some
early childhood educators.
Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Dominic Cardy made the
announcement in Rothesay, saying the money will help build the world-class
education system the government envisions. More than a thousand educators
could qualify for the hike to a minimum hourly wage of $17.25 per hour.
People wanting information about road restrictions or closures in New
Brunswick can now turn to a new mobile app.
The My511 app was launched yesterday and it relays notifications about road
closures, ferry disruptions and where travel is not recommended,
Transportation Minister Bill Oliver says pushing messages directly to New
Brunswickers’ phones will help ensure people have the information they need
Corporations may not be contributing to political parties in the province
anymore…but that doesn’t mean their executives aren’t.
Matter of fact, CBC reports …. donations from corporate executives have
increased since the previous government banned corporations from donating in
Duff Conacher of Democracy Watch thinks more needs to be done because the
present law has not stopped “big money from big business from flowing into
Chief Electoral Officer Kim Poffenroth confirmed company executives are free
to give money as long as the companies are not supplying the money.
SJ/NB-ELCT RESULTS TRIAL
The disputed election result in the riding of Saint John Harbour is finally
heading to trial.
After months of haggling over evidence, The Telegraph Journal reports ….
the matter will now go to trial on June 24th – 9 months after last fall’s
The PC’s and their candidate Barry Ogden have long alleged voting
irregularities – identifying 78 disputed ballots that could have impacted the
Ogden lost the election to Liberal Gerry Lowe by just ten votes.