January 8, 2019 | by: markfirth

CKNB NEWS TUESDAY JANUARY 8 2019

*CAMP KIDS OF THE BABY BOOM

The ob-gyn unit at the Chaleur Regional Hospital in Bathurst won’t re-open
until February 4th.

That’s due to a shortage of nurses, which means expectant mothers in the
Bathurst area have to go to Miramichi or Campbellton to give birth.

 

SJ-Bad daddy in prison

A young Saint John man is going to prison for three years for abusing his
girlfriend’s young daughter.

20 year old Carson Bennett pleaded guilty last month to aggravated assault
and an attempted murder charge was withdrawn.

At his sentencing hearing yesterday, the two year old girl’s mother told the
court her daughter still cries out in her sleep a year after the incidents.
Bennett admitted to abusing the toddler at least five times, including
hitting the little girl, suffocating her with water and stuffing her in a
duffel bag.

The judge sentenced him to three years in prison and three years of
supervised probation when he gets out.

—-
SJ/NB OLAND

A police officer says he arrived at the scene of Richard Oland’s murder
without any protective gear because he had assumed it was a routine death
from natural causes

Constable Tony Gilbert told the second-degree murder retrial of Dennis Oland
he had not been told there was anything suspicious about the death. There was
no police tape at the entrance to the building when her arrived and under
cross examination said he would have not have entered if he’d known it was a
bloody murder scene.

The defence’s case is that police made many mistakes in their investigation,
including a failure to properly protect the crime scene.

NB-Accident shooting update

A woman arrested after a shooting Saturday in Dieppe remains in hospital but
has not been formally charged by RCMP yet.

The 25-year-old Nova Scotia woman was injured when an RCMP officer fired at
her, according to RCMP. The Mounties were called in after shots were fired at
paramedics when they arrived to help the woman after she crashed her car into
some woods.

The Serious Incident Response Team from Nova Scotia has been brought in to
investigate the RCMP offcer’s actions while Codiac Mounties continue to
investigate the initial incident.

MIR – SCHOOL APP

A Miramichi Valley High School student will unveil his new app this week that
will provide students with the quickest way possible to find out if school’s
been cancelled.

The Leader reports 17-year-old Alex Leslie’s ‘Snow Day Notifier App’ for
tablets and smart phones is now ready after the idea won him an award for
best pitch at provincial Youth Entrepreneurship Challenge in 2017.

—-
-Ship fire update

A tugboat from St. John’s has arrived at that large container ship on fire
1,500 kms off the coast and is helping with fire fighting efforts.

It will then tow the ship 1,500 kms into Halifax. Still no timneline on when.

All 23 crew aboard the Yantian Express were removed from the massive vessel
on the weekend. No reports of any injuries.